Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Entry the seventeenth: In which I continue to get nothing done but share a few details

Hmph. For various reasons, this weekend was close to a total loss. I hate that.

Anyway, in lieu of showing any actual progress, here are a few details about the yarn I'm using to make myself a sweater.

When I was three years old, my father got a summer-long sabbatical. My mother, grandma, and I joined him for three months of driving all over Europe in a red VW bus,* camping, checking out cathedrals, pretending to speak Danish,** and visiting museums. Sometime during the trip, my mother bought a seventeen skeins of this



to make a sweater for herself when we returned home. She never got around to it. When I got interested in knitting about ten years ago, she gave it to me. I started and then abandoned a sweater (though, in my defense, I did get a few other projects done) and put it away. Until now.



As you can see, the yarn is a lovely bluey greeny color (the photo is pretty darn close to reality) called "Kentucky."*** I have no what it weighs (what its weight is? I don't know how to write about knitting) but it's very satisfying to knit on my mom's old #7 BERNAT-Aero needles (which, since they're English, I'm guessing my mom bought on the same trip).

According to Valerie's diligent googling, the yarn is from the Keighley Knitting Wool Spinners in Yorkshire, England. It was a little business that was eventually swallowed by a larger one and at some point it produced this batch of yarn. Since the company closed the same year we took our trip, it's likely the yarn is from sometime close to the end of the Keighley Spinners' history.

Oh! Oh! Wait! I do have progress to report! Okay, maybe not knitting progress, but it's a project I completed, so that counts, right? I finally finished making a wedding photo album for my parents and they love it. I used Apple iPhoto and mypublisher.com and it came out really, really well.

I don't have a picture of the album but I can show you the invitation my dad designed for my wedding. The little thingie next to it is a teapot made by cutting & folding the invitation (and following the convoluted directions inside). Isn't that cool?!



Here is Mirabelle "helping" me take the picture.



*Does this make anyone else start humming "Alice's Restaurant"?
**None of the grown-ups did this. I thought the Danish kids in the campground were speaking gobbledygook, so that's what I spoke back at them.
***This is where Sylvie wished to add "fgcxxxxxxxxd"

4 Comments:

At October 17, 2006 5:21 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Mirabelle is SO helpful. (And pretty darned adorable... so one can't be very irritated)

 
At October 19, 2006 6:34 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

The teapot invitations are way cool. I like to sing to Alice's Restaurant on almost any occasion. It's a good song that has held up well over the years. I still think Arlo is a fox.

I haven't been able to get into TTWife at all. Nice to hear that I am not the only one.

Blog more! I always enjoy your entries so much.

I love the yarn and cats are always so very helpful.

 
At October 21, 2006 10:25 PM, Blogger Christine said...

How did your mom settle on 17 skeins?

I can see the Kentucky reference. They must have been thinking blue grass (I mean grass that is blueish, not the music... do they have that?)? Sorry for the grammar badness. And the incomplete sentences.

I still have the teapot I made at your invite stuffing party :). It's right above my computer and next to my indoor thermometer*, so I look at it often.

* I love astersisks. Everytime I add them to documentation, my boss asks me to remove them ;). No kidding! My house is really cold and I like to glance at the temp to validate my feeling of chill (not the zen kind). I have diarrhea of the comments today :O..

 
At October 22, 2006 1:55 AM, Blogger Elinoire said...

I love Arlo Guthrie. I lived in Western Massachusetts for a few years and he came through every year or so for a concert. His shows are some of the best I've ever seen. Half is singing and half is telling great stories or giving us (the audience) grief because we aren't singing with sufficientl enthusiasm. I love that after the first weak audience attempt at the chorus of "Alice's restaurant," he says "that's pathetic. You know I can stay here all night until we get it right. I'm not proud. Or tired..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home