Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Entry the eleventh: In which I wig out for a moment and then recover my calm

I have decided to be magnanimous and give the sulky tomato plant a second chance. It was with this enlightened view that I went out yesterday evening to trim the deadest of the dead leaves and photograph the one tomato that has finally begun to ripen. And that was fine and all except that I saw this



about two thirds of the way through pruning. And I yelled. Loudly. As most people who know me will (gleefully) tell you, I am a bug wimp. (Go ahead Sarah, just start writing your comment before you even finish this entry.)

I can’t find this guy’s exact match on my favorite bug reference site, but I’m pretty sure it’s your basic grasshopper, only in brown instead of the traditional green. It’s friggin’ HUGE. In the image below, the beastie is on the branch to the right of the other beastie cat (used, once again, for scale purposes).*



The good news is that it was gone this morning and I didn't let it stop me from taking this lovely picture.



*I'm not sure how many more times Sylvie will let me do this.

4 Comments:

At July 14, 2006 1:13 PM, Blogger Sarah S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At July 14, 2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Sarah S. said...

I wasn't so much writing a comment in my head as just snickering to myself. But since you bring it up -- heh.

FYI to other readers: I used to chase my sister around the house with my dead bug collection (which had some beautiful specimes, like a dragonfly and a June beetle, but was limited in scope because I was only willing to collect insects I found already dead. Insects on pins still kind of skeeve me out in a Vlad the Impaler kind of way. I kept my bugs resting gently in a cotton-lined box instead). She was also chaseable with dead-but-intact crabs and lobsters that my parents bought at the fish store. Ah, those were good days. I can't really convey the incredulous joy of being eight and discovering that you suddenly have power over your big sister....

 
At July 15, 2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

But bugs are interesting! They are fun! Fascinating to look at. I even have a special microscope for looking at them. That said, that is a HUGE grasshopper. Brown isn't unusual but the size! My guys are all pretty small. I do get huge prey mantis and even I think they're a bit creepy.

What did you do to retaliate with your sister? We want to know. I have an older sister and I know how I loved to torture her.

 
At August 28, 2006 4:32 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

Cyberfriends wonder what happened to Ms. Snarky. did the giant grasshopper do her in? Did she fall into a vat of homemade cucumber relish? Inquiring Blog Readers want to know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home