Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Entry the First: In which I attempt to take on an old sweater and the sweater wins (with minor injuries).

Yeah, so, I don't have much to talk about right now. Mostly I just decided to create this on a whim so I could throw random stuff out into the whirling ether of the Internet and see if it sticks to anything. And so I could have a home address when I respond to other blogs.

Last night I unraveled several feet of a sweater I had started knitting in 1993. (I found a dated receipt for the yarn with the sweater.) Unraveling is fun... when it's just a panel. Flush with victory after this, my first deconstruction, I moved on to an *entire* sweater I knitted for myself in, oh, 1997? It is not a lovely object in the least. It was sloppily made with uneven stiches in some places and a droopy look overall. The yarn, however, is lovely and worth using for something else. It is light silvery green and very soft -- I'm going to guess some type of wool or angora twined together with velour. For all I know, this was sheared off a Muppet. Unlike my friends who have become knitting-obsessed in the last few months, or my mentor who grew up in Switzerland where knitting was part of the ciriculum in school, I am a very definite dilettante.

And that (the dilettante thing) is just one of the reasons this sweater is going to be a challenge to unravel. Not only did I knit it badly, but I then, unsurprisingly, sewed it together badly as well, using the same yarn. I cannot figure out where the knitting ends and the sewing begins. Last night I worked on it for close to two hours and was only able to remove and unravel one sleeve. At this rate, I think it's likely the sweater will take longer to take apart than it did to create it. Sigh. At least I can console myself by having something to do with my hands when I watch silly movies on TV.

This evening I am going to sneak up on the sweater from behind and hope that I have better luck using the element of surprise. "With cat-like tread, upon [my] prey [I] steal... "

2 Comments:

At June 21, 2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Hey! It's a blog! Woohoo. Plus, it has a fabulous blogname.

There are a couple good online tutorials on unravelling sweaters. Although this isn't a thrift store sweater, maybe it's worth looking at one of them for hints, since it's been so long since you made the sweater? or maybe it wouldn't help :-( Especially since I haven't actually tried them yet. Hmm, hard to say...

Helpful, aren't I.

 
At June 21, 2006 1:17 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...


1933 - The first modern sighting of the Loch Ness monster is reported.
Cool! And probably clammy and tendrilly as well!

Fortunately, these two words do not apply to you...

1955 - Tennessee Williams wins the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
Sadly, no lochs were involved.

Cat on a Hot Tin Loch?
Cat on a Hot Loch Monster?
Monster on a Loch-Hot Cat?
Hmm.



1972 - J. Edgar Hoover, American director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (b. 1895)
Does anyone else wonder if he was buried with frilly pink panties under his internment-appropriate suit?

I try not to wonder things like that. I leave that for you. ;-)

6:58 PM
Delete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home