Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Entry the fourteenth: In which I stop writing about bugs for a little while



These are "Bush Early Girl" tomatoes. I tried the first one yesterday and it was really good, but not spectacular. I am still sad the heirloom variety I tried to grow early this summer fizzled, but I am mollified by the fact that no one* had much luck with tomatoes this year.

I shouldn’t fret about the tomatoes, however, because the cucumbers I grew early this summer were amazing, and now I’m getting ready to harvest my second crop of Japanese eggplants. I used this recipe to stir-fry the first batch and now I can’t wait to do it again as soon as these guys are a little larger.



In other news, I’ve started my first knitting project in 9 years. Yikes! It’s going to be a sweater (I haven’t decided yet between a cardigan or pullover) and as you can see, I’m getting some help.



Valerie has been even more help than Sylvie (you're shocked, no?) and is the one who helped** me get started. More about the sweater and where I got the yarn soon.

*”No one” = me, my godmother, a family friend, my sister (in upstate New York), or the guy teaching the “Summer Tomato Sensations” class at Great News.

**”Helped” = figured out my gauge, found a starter pattern, and retaught me how to cast on. My fingers remember how to knit and purl, but I’ve never actually learned anything else. Like how to read a knitting pattern. Or fix mistakes.

2 Comments:

At September 27, 2006 6:48 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Re the knitting: it's kind of like the blind leading the blind here. You do realize that, right?

Re the veggies: You are the QUEEN of gardening. I bow to you. You are insane. New tomatoes in September. Second crops of eggplant. Everyone I know is going to be jealous as hell. (Except me, because I get to help eat the eggplant stir-fry. YAY!)

 
At October 01, 2006 7:04 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

Take two on the comments. My first try flew off into the ether. Valerie will lead you towards the light. Trust her. Though I wonder if a sweater isn't a rather long project for a first or a first in a long time. So, photos! What pattern, what fiber? We want details!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home