Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Entry the twenty-fifth: Extreme Canning Frustratrion

Raaaarrrrgggh.

Last night I used my pressure canner for the very first time. I've canned many a thing with boiling water, but never with superheated steam. My wonderfully sweet husband reread through the instruction booklet and walked me through it, step by step, as I prepared the ingredients and readied the hot sterilized jars.

The recipe told me to leave 1/4" headspace, so that's what I did. Even when my husband pointed out that the canner instructions said to leave twice that. But me? I followed the recipe. Grumblegrumblegrumble.

The first indication that something was wrong was when I opened the cooled-for-the-allotted-time-so-not-going-to-explode-and-scald-anyone canner. The canning water was cloudy and smelled a lot like lemon and egg. At first I thought one of the jars had broken (this happened to me once when I made pickles, but I think in that case it was because the room temperature cukes did not play well with the boiling water), but no. The largest jar had leaked approximately half its contents into the water during the process, but then sealed when cooling.

Concerned by this and the now-completely-filled-with-no-headspace-WHATSOEVER jars, I started Googling. And getting answers. And now I am extremely frustrated.

Turns out it may not be safe to can lemon curd (yes, this was the origin of the lemony eggy water), even with a pressure canner. And yet Linda J. Amendt's Blue Ribbon Preserves instructs me how to do it.

I don't know what to do. This book has forty-one reviews on amazon.com and all but (I think) three are glowing. Her book is published by Penguin. It didn't occur to me (before all that Googling) that her recipes might not be safe. Raaaaarrrrghh.

I've posted a "please help!" question on gardenweb.com and am hoping for a reassuring answer. But in the meantime, I Am Not Happy.

Here is a picture of an adorable dormouse to mitigate some of the grouchiness of this post.

4 Comments:

At November 13, 2006 12:11 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I like the National Center for Home Food Preservation as an info source. They seem to think lemon curd can be canned: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/lemon_curd.html

Note that almost no one will allow as how it's safe to can with a pressure canner. So if you see that kind of message, it's a general belief system that you may or may not choose to subscribe to...

But, sorry for your troubles :( That sounds VERY ANNOYING.

 
At November 13, 2006 3:30 PM, Blogger Elinoire said...

Thanks Valerie. The recipe at that site is *exactly* the same as the one I used except that mine called for fresh lemon juice instead of the bottled stuff. Now I understand that bottled lemon juice ensures enough acidity. Oh well. I really think that mine is fine, but don't want to take changes with canned goods.

I've put the curd in the fridge so I'm positive it won't kill anyone and I will just give it away soon instead of waiting until the holidays. Anyone want some Meyer lemon curd? :-P

 
At November 15, 2006 5:05 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

You can buy lemon curd so it must be can-able. How annoying though. I guess you have to err on the side of liquid expansion and leave lots of head room. All that work! If I lived in San Diego I would make you scones and come right over with an appetite.

 
At November 28, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Elinoire said...

Update: I froze all the curd and will give it away soon. One of frightenly-informed people on gardenweb actually wrote to the author of the book and got a response. The author says she no longer cans fruit curds. :-\

The good news: I made tomato sauce the next week and canned it with the pressure canner and all went well. Whew! Now I need to think about all these pomegranates I've been meaning to turn into jelly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home