Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Entry the thirty-seventh: Baking insanity

No, no, I'm not perfecting a recipe for insanity on a cookie sheet; I've gone insane and baking is my way of expressing it. ("Gone," you say? "What is this 'gone' Elinoire speaks of? Hasn't she already been there for as long as I've known her?") Ahem.

Proof of my mental condition:



"That," you might say to yourself, "is a whole lot of banana bread." And you'd be right. (About the quantity. I'm just pretending I didn't hear that earlier comment about how long I have or have not been crazy.) Especially if you were including the eight loaves still in the oven. It's ridiculous. And even a little bizarre because banana bread is not a traditional December goodie.

(Not that I think you wouldn't be muttering to yourself if I baked twenty-seven loaves of fruitcake.)

But I digress.

Here is the reason I bake and distribute banana bread every December:



These are bananas that were bought during the last year and then ignored for a just a little too long. I like bananas that are tinged with green and my husband likes them when they're all yellow with maybe one or two brown spots. These were left in the fruit bowl until they became spotty and unappealing (to us, anyway) and then tossed in the back of the freezer. That's why they're totally brown now and even a little frosty. When they're thawed they're perfect for baking.

Except these are the bananas I had left over after my bout of baking insanity. These are the extra bananas that ended up in my parents' composter.

We're definitely buying smaller bunches in 2007.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 17, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

It's a good thing we don't have to conserve bananas to save the planet...

Seriously, mmmmmm you make fab banana bread, so the more people who get to eat it, the better.

 
At December 18, 2006 2:40 AM, Blogger Elinoire said...

As Valerie once told me, the secret to my banana bread is that it's really cake. Mmm... cake. :-)

 
At December 20, 2006 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay cake!

And also - you are soooooooooooo way more industrious than me - I just wait until they're liquid and then call my mom to see if she wants to make bread - at which time she says, "Those are soup!"

:)
-S

 
At December 24, 2006 2:41 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Your bread was amazing. I loved the cherries. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home