Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The neighbors

This is our local skunk Claymore. We think he lives under the deck of the pottery studio next door, and he is an remarkably well behaved guy.* We are usually alerted to his presence by rustling in the leaves by the side of the house (where he comes out from under the building) or because Mirabelle is extremely intent on something going on outside. "Intent Mirabelle" + "fuzzed tail" = Sheba, the little feral cat the pottery people take care of, has had the nerve to walk somethwere that Mirabelle can see. (It also equals "Sylvie is going to be whomped in a minute because Mirabelle can't get to Sheba and man, is she in a whomping mood.)

"Intent Mirabelle" + "No fuzz" = Claymore is making his rounds. (And Sylvie can continue to nap peacefully.)

Check out my magnificent bushy tail.  You know you're jealous -- just admit it.


I put some catfood on the lawn the other day and apparently that was enough to get Claymore out before dark to snuffle it out of the grass. He was very intent.

Delicious catfood!  I must snuffle through the lawn and find each tempting morsel

He is also a she. A while later, I heard more rustling and looked outside to see two new baby skunks looking for any treats their mother might have missed. I didn't get good photos of them, but you will have to take my word for it when I tell you a baby skunk (kitten size but much waddlier and with an enormous bushy tail) is a seriously adorable creature. Especially when it is wrassling with its sibling and climbing up on things and then jumping off of them.

We don't get a ton of wildlife in this very urban part of the city, so I am pleased when I see a native species making good. Go skunk power!

* I classify "good skunk behavior" as "not making oneself known through ones scent" and this is almost always the case.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At May 02, 2007 10:56 AM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

I was just noticing yesterday that the rock embankment down the hill from us had some new activity. Some critter, very likely a soon to be mama skunk had dug out a den. We had fox kits in a larger den a few feet away last year. It's a popular place for mama's to be. Down a ways from the house and close to and facing the woods. Best to see the skunks and not to get sprayed (they love cat food)! No fun, don't ask me how I know. Omar has been hit twice (and in one week!). Poor guy.

Your trip sounds wonderful but your cats will miss you. Funny how "whomping" just has to be used. I've had one cat throwing himself against the screen door at night (just let me at him!) then turn around in frustration and whomp his brother. Life is never dull.

 
At May 02, 2007 11:01 AM, Blogger Ordinarily Bob said...

How do you know Claymore is a she just because you saw "two new baby skunks?" Maybe the skunks have embraced the 21st Century and left behind stereotypical gender rolls. I mean if human men's bathrooms can have diaper changing stations then perhaps it's possible that Mr. Daddy Skunk (and not Miss/Mrs. Mother Claymore) was taking the two younglings out for a walk... I mean right?

 
At May 02, 2007 8:08 PM, Blogger Elinoire said...

Actually, before I saw the babies, I saw Claymore getting a bit fussy with another adult skunk over by the crawl space under the cottage next door (the very same crawl space that Claymore and family come from)... I suppose that means I might have seen and photographed some other skunk who was pretending to be Claymore and then I witnessed Claymore all "hey man, that's MY catfood on the lawn there" and pulling the skunk 'tude...

Okay, I have no idea. We're not far from Hillcrest, so you're probably right, Bob. What we have here is ClaymoreMini X 2 and one (or two) adult guardian(s)-who-may-or-may-not-be-"together"-and-may-or-may-not-be-the-same-gender-but-it's-all-okay-as-long-as-everyone's-happy.

I had no idea skunks were so complicated.

 
At May 06, 2007 5:09 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

May be a transgendered skunk. I refuse to speculate further on their private lives, but DANG they are cute!

 
At May 08, 2007 9:47 AM, Blogger Ordinarily Bob said...

See? Many things in Nature can be more complicated than at first we believe. I'm just saying we should be open to the Possibilites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home