Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Things that are Halloweeny

Since this is my blog, I'm going to brag about something I did, okay? Okay. Here it is: I made an AMAZING pomegranate sorbet that pretty much blew everyone away. No, seriously, it was THAT good. So do I have pictures of it to show you?

Sadly, I do not.

In lieu of pictures, please accept the following background information.

A few weeks ago, I became sad when I looked around the farmers market and realized that Summer Fruit Season had ended (it trails on a while in San Diego but the peaches of October are hard to eat after being spoiled by the peaches of August). On Sunday, I took another look around and quickly got over my melancholy as I realized that Autumn Fruit Season is here. Woohoo!

I zoomed from stall to stall, grabbing bosc pears and the first of the tangerines and pink lady apples... and pomegranates. Heavy, cracked, delicious pomegranates.

I've been a pomegranate fiend since I was a kid, but I am not crazy about Pom Wonderful juice (or any of its competitors). The taste of these juices is too concentrated for me, but beyond that, they only sort of taste like pomegranates. I suspect this has to do with pasteurization.

As it happens, however, I live in a pomegranate-friendly climate and frequent a good farmers market so I have more options than some. What I'm getting to here is that another thing I greedily snapped up on Sunday was a quart of freshly squeezed, NOT pasteurized pomegranate juice. Wow. Drinking that juice was like being punched in the mouth with a pomegranate, only in a good way. It was not cheap but it was totally worth the price because now I could make sorbet and I would not have to pull apart all those pomegranates to do it.

I used this recipe* and the results were amazing, as previously stated. Very intense, and perfect with the rich chocolate malt ice cream I had made the day before. Mmmm.

So how, you ask, is any of this Halloweeny in the least? Because the desert was made to eat after making these guys:

Are you not TERRIFIED?!

This weekend, Valerie and I went to Tyee's house to carve pumpkins. I am very grateful to Tyee for suggesting this activity because I am pretty sure I wouldn't have done it on my own this year. Plus Tyee's lovely husband made us pizza AND her daughter was charming and burbly as always.

(Mine are the two little ones in front: a friendly troll or hobgoblin or goat or something, and another one that's menacing because, you know, fangs.)

Happy Halloween!

* Except I skipped the fancy touches (champagne and garnish) because that lily just did not need gilding.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At October 31, 2007 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had pomegranate maybe twice in my life but I don't recall the taste. Might explain why I'm not too fond of the Pon drinks if that's "too" much pomegranate for one sitting....

Happy Halloween! Love the troll pumpkin by the way...

~Sandy

 
At October 31, 2007 7:55 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

I almost hate you for this. I love pomegranates with a passion. Alas, I do not live in a friendly climate for them. I used to live with a guy who loved them so much that his mother would mail him fruit from the house they used to live in when he was a child. Heaven.

 
At November 01, 2007 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sorbet did in fact blow me away. It was so good that I have not the words to describe its excellence. I believe I could even state boldly and without hyberbole that it was the best sorbet I have ever had.


~tyee

 
At November 08, 2007 8:10 AM, Blogger Katia said...

Off topic--my mom reports your parents' visit was lovely and the food (mostly fish) was very good.

 
At November 08, 2007 12:35 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Beautiful pumpkins! This would be a good thing to do every year like the Ukranian easter eggs!

I so relate to the fruit sadness/joy. I just made the first persimmon bread of the season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home