Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Diversionary rambling is what this is

Several large swaths of San Diego County are being eaten by nowhere-close-to-contained wildfires right now, which is bad. The little house we live in is pretty far from them not as far as we'd like but we're probably okay for now. We have lots of friends who've been evacuated from their homes (or may be told to evacuate soon) so we're twitchy as all hell, as you'd imagine.

So what am I doing? Cheering myself up by posting vacation photos from our trip in May, that's what. Oh, and I also made brownies. And will probably make a bunch of jam in a little while. But right NOW I'm posting pictures.

So, to start we have this, a corridor at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou, France.

What's better than a Gothic arch? A whole row of Gothic arches!

Our friend Nathalie (who is an amazingly kind hostess) drove us all over ze place (note the French accent there), starting here.

Not only was the abbey run by nuns (not men) throughout the middle ages, but Eleanor* of Aquitaine, one of my all-time favorite historical figures,** spent the last bit of her very active life here. Her effigy is at Fontvraud, along with her husband's (Henry VIII, who may or may not have asked his knights to rid him of that pesky Thomas Becket) and her son's (Richard the Lionheart, AKA the guy that baaaadd King John tries to supplant until Robin Hood says "uh, no."). So there's a lot to like about Fontevraud.

What you can't see in the picture above is the swallows swooping in and out of their nests. And where, you ask, is there room for a nest in this spare stone corridor?

Here!

Mud!  Yay!

Those clever dive bombers of the avian world have appropriated the spaces in the ribbing of the Gothic arches for their own use. You know the groundskeepers must love that, right? I couldn't get a good photo of the swoopage at Fontvraud, but here's one from a tower at le Château de Chenonceau the next day. The dark little triangles are swallows.

VROOOOM

And finally I give you this, a photo that has nothing at all to do with Fontvraud, swallows, mud, or even France. It's a random railing in Brugge, Belgium. Isn't it cooooool?

Please don't feed the bannister

Yes, I thought you'd think so.

* Spelled, amusingly, "Aliénor" at the abbey

** And the inspiration for my name, along with L'il Miss Sensible in Sense and Sensibility and my great-grandmother's cat.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 23, 2007 9:31 AM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

I came over to your blog to check that you are okay. I am so glad you are all safe. You must be stuffed to the gills with Valerie et al in place. Stay safe guys. I'm thinking of you. My summer job in college was fighting forest fires so I have a good idea of what is going on. I have a lot of respect for the firefighters. It's hard and dangerous work.

I love the swallows and the way their heads stick out of the mud nests built a dab at a time. I like Aliénor a lot too.

 
At October 26, 2007 4:30 AM, Blogger Katia said...

I'm glad you're OK, that work is being good to you and letting you not go in, AND that you have time to make jam! My visiting mom loves jam, especially yours, so she got to choose between three dif kinds--delicious! (Luckily she left enough meyer lemon for Kim).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home