Too Snarky For Her Own Good

All about stuff I feel like writing about. Or not. Sometimes I waffle.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

I'm one of the horde

Guess what we did tonight?

What was it that was magic about this, exactly?

Yup, it's true. I have my very own copy of the new Harry Potter book right here in front of me. I figured hey, it's my last chance to join in the midnight madness, so Mr. Elinoire and I went to a favorite local bookstore and did just that.

My friend Tyee came this close to winning the trivia contest (she was stumped by JK Rowling's middle name (Kathleen) and one of the two significant ways Bartemis Crouch Jr. was similar to Lord Voldemort (she got that they both killed their fathers but missed that they were both named for their fathers), neither of which I could come up with) and I got to tell her the story of the first time my sister Sarache and I tried Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.*

Tyee made the cutest cake ever!

Plus? Now I have the book! Don't expect me to answer the phone or anything in the next couple days.

(There's no fun story about the Harry Potter box. I just brought it home to put jam in, but like all of its ilk, it had to be throroughly inspected once it was in the house.)

* She bought some the first time we saw them and then we went to her car and drove somewhere while we ate them. The candy came with a cheat sheet but we thought it would be more fun to try the flavors one by one.

First, we each bit down on a blue one.
Elinoire: "I think this is just blueberry..."
Sarache: "Yeah, I think so too. Check the sheet."
Elinoire, after checking: "Blueberry. Okay let's try gray."
We each bite down on our gray jelly beans.
Sarache: "Ew, is that pepper?"
Elinoire: "Ugh, I think it must be. It doesn't taste awful but it doesn't taste like anything I want in a jelly bean."
Elinoire checks and confirms that gray = pepper, and then gives Sarache a white jelly bean to match her own. They bite down.
Elinoire: "Huh, that's just coco-"
Sarache: "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WHAT IS THAT?! That is the most VILE THING EVER."
Elinoire: "Uh, it's coconut."
Sarache, spitting her jelly bean out into a kleenex and taking a swig of water: "That is NOT coconut. That is EVIL, is what that is."
Elinoire, consulting chart: "Ohhh... I think I got coconut, but the other flavor for white can be sardine.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At July 21, 2007 9:49 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I definitely agree with S. There are few tastes for jelly beans which I can imagine that are more vile than sardine.

I never, never, never want to eat one. Never. Just in case you were wondering.

 
At July 23, 2007 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trauma has still not worn off, by the way.

--Sarache

 
At July 23, 2007 6:25 PM, Blogger karenalienated said...

"Is that you in that box, Mad Eye Moody?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home